This scholarship program is awarded by the Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States of America to graduates of various colleges and universities, for the pursuit of research and study under various departments such as engineering, natural sciences, and mathematics for a one-year scholarship program at Churchill college at the University of Cambridge.
The Churchill Scholarship is considered one of the most prestigious and its endorsed applicants are normally by nomination, each institution will nominate only two candidates for the Churchill scholarship.
The Churchill Scholarship is considered one of the most academically challenging scholarships because its applicants must have an average GPA of 3.8.
The scholarship is worth between $50,000 and $60,000 depending on the current exchange rate, and this covers all university and college fees which include tuition, a living allowance, visa fees which are up to $1,500 for travel between the United States of America and the United Kingdom. And the possibility of an additional special research grant of $2,000.
History of Churchill scholarship
The Churchill college was founded in 1958 at Cambridge in honor of Sir Winston Churchill with a primary focus on engineering, natural science, and mathematics.
Before the final establishment of the college, Churchill met with some friends Lewis W. Douglas, John Loeb. Sr., and Carl Gilbert for help in creating a scholarship program for young Americans to have the advantage to study at the college. Then in 1959, the Winston Churchill Foundation was created as a non-profit charitable organization.
In the year 1963, the Churchill foundation funded its first three Churchill scholarships for one year of study.to increase the number of Churchill scholars, the foundation decided to support only one-year programs.
- First, all applicants must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Applicants must have graduated within the previous year or be a senior enrolled in one of the institutions participating in the scholarship program.
- Participants must hold a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent.
Criteria for selection
Applicants for the Churchill scholarship are chosen based on;
- Outstanding achievement in their various academics especially in the chosen major.
- outstanding personal individual qualities outside their academics.
Before you apply for Churchill scholarship
Things all applicants should know before applying for the scholarship program:
- check that you’re eligible: note that the Churchill scholarship is only open to those who are citizens of the US, also those who have just graduated or are in their senior year
- Select an eligible course: check the program of study page for the Churchill scholarship for a list of eligible and ineligible courses before you apply.
How to apply for Churchill scholarship
- Visit the website to fill out the online application at the online application portal. only the online applications will be considered. In addition to the online application form, Applicants must submit a 1-page proposed program of study, a 2-page personal statement, copy of the student’s transcript.
- Request four academic letters of recommendation from four people who are familiar with your research or academic work. Letters of recommendation must be submitted by each of them through the online portal.
- Apply to the University of Cambridge, students are therefore advised to put Churchill college as their first choice in the Cambridge application
- Complete your online application by simply pressing “SUBMIT” to ensure that the process is complete. If you’re not nominated by your institution, you may be requested to submit “UNSUBMIT” your application. You can then work on it until close to the deadline for nomination. Each institution can nominate at least two participants. you can work with your scholarship office to ensure they upload your institutional letter of support before the deadline of application.
- Notification are sent to applicants by late December and awards are announced publicly by early February
For further information and insights on the Churchill, scholarship visits the Churchill foundation website.