Under the auspices of the “African Business Education Initiative for Youth” (hereinafter referred to as the “ABE Initiative”), the JICA Government of Japan Scholarship and Internship Program for African Students aims to give up to 1,000 African youths the chance to study at Japanese universities and complete internships at Japanese businesses.
The ABE Initiative seeks to produce leaders with the capacity to aid in the development of Africa in partnership with the Japanese business sector.
JICA is seeking outstanding young South African citizens who are now or plan to participate in industrial development initiatives in the public and commercial sectors and who have a strong desire to deepen bilateral economic connections.
- Host Country: Japan
- Study Abroad: Study in Asia
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships | Internships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship
- Deadline: October 7, 2022
The scholarship is an initiative of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is advancing its activities around the pillars of a field-oriented approach, human security, and enhanced effectiveness, efficiency, and speed.
A variety of organizations and groups, including governments as well as international organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and private companies, carry out financial assistance to developing countries for socioeconomic development.
Conditions for Scholarships:
- Be citizens of eligible African countries
- Be less than 40 (as of 1 April 2023)
- Have some work experience
- Have good health condition, both physically and mentally, to complete the program
- Bachelor’s degree (B-Tech included) with honours or equivalent to NQF8 or above
- Minimum average of 65% score in academic transcript
- Have good understanding of the ABE Initiative’s objectives
- Have adequate English skills in both written and oral communication
Scholarship Length and Compensation
- The program provides African youths with opportunities to study at Japanese universities and to work at Japanese enterprises.
- A fully funded offer
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Undergraduate Graduation Certificate * A copy of “Officially certified copies of the original” is acceptable * Must be written in English or be accompanied with official translation in English
- Academic transcript * Must contain all the grades earned in the university attended by the applicant. * A copy of “Officially certified copies of the original” is acceptable * Must be written in English or accompanied with official translation in English
- A copy of Valid Passport with photo (for checking nationality, name, sex, and date of birth). Valid National ID and birth certificate are acceptable if you do not have Passport. Certified English translation must be attached if ID is not written in English, French, Portuguese or Spanish)
- 2 ID Photos(4 cm×3 cm) pasted on application form (Original and copy).
- Photocopy of the certificate of official English Tests etc. (if any) (7) Health certificate (in JICA format) to be submitted after the 4th Selection (applica
Method of Application
The registration procedures require interested participants to pay attention to the following documents as it contains series of guides for the application.
- A-3. 2023 Application Form for ABE Initiative (includes Annex1&3) (Excel/316KB)
- A-5. Annex.2 Details of Current and Previous Work, Research Plan and Career Plan after Graduation (Word/22.0KB)
- C-4. Application Form_Cover (ABE, SDGs) (Japanese) (PDF/153KB)
- C-5. Example of Application Form (PDF/916KB)
The subject of the email should be as follows: “[ABE Initiative FY2023] Submission of Application”